Featured Post

Meal Ideas

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

General Tso’s Tofu

General Tso’s Tofu from The Buddhist Chef. As per my usual, here is the text of it in case that site ever goes down and I still want the recipe, and my notes on what I change are afterwards:
Ingredients:

1 block firm tofu (450 g)
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tsp Sriracha sauce (or red pepper paste)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3/4 cup vegetable broth
Oil

Directions:

1. Cut tofu into cubes and coat well with cornstarch.
2. In a saucepan heat the oil. Add tofu and cook until they are golden brown and crispy. Add oil if necessary.
3. Stir in garlic, ginger, maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup, Sriracha sauce, scallions and vegetable broth.
4. Let it cook until it thickens. If it gets too thick, add some water.

Kristi's Notes:

I always double the recipe, it's pretty much barely enough for one or two people in my household, but I cut the soy sauce in half and cut down (half as well?) on the broth. It was coming out way to salty otherwise. I also do not use ketchup, instead I've used diced fresh tomatoes or tomato juice from my garden and add 2 tsps of apple cider vinegar. I've also used a diced medium yellow onion when I did not have green onions on hand. I also never use more oil, the 3 Tablespoons (6 T when doubling) is more than ample and it comes out too greasy with more.

No comments: